When devising an advertising plan, it is important to keep the following things in mind:
- Who is your target? More than likely, your event probably targets a specific crowd. Are you targeting a certain group of students, or do you need to reach out to the community?
- Do the research. Find out what your target does, where they hang out, how they act, what they’re attracted to, etc. This will help you create appropriate designs for advertisements, as well as decide what outlets are best to reach your market.
- What is your budget? Marketing is crucial in the event planning process because it is how you get people to your event. However, you must make sure you have enough money in your event budget to cover your advertising expenses. Create a marketing budget that includes every type of marketing you plan on using.
- What is your marketing calendar? It is important to lay out a calendar for how your marketing plan should run. Here is an example Marketing Calendar you can use.
- Don’t forget about the free stuff. Utilizing free advertising outlets is a great idea. Don’t forget about posting on University event calendars, using social media, and viral marketing!